16061 Coit Rd. Frisco, TX 75033
The Student News Site of Rock Hill High School

Hill Top Times

Hill Top Times

Hill Top Times

Poll

This poll has ended.

What are your plans for prom?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Black Student Union and Psi Alpha hosts mental health panel

On Feb. 28, 2024, the Black Student Union (BSU) and Psi Alpha National Honor Society teamed up to sponsor a mental health panel for Black History Month located in the Rock Hill cafeteria. Psi Alpha is a national honor society for students pursuing a career in psychology or major in psychology. 

Both groups invited Mr. Derrick Robinson and Mrs. Ceretha Robinson to talk about their experiences to student audience members who came to listen to the panel.They were chosen because of the relationship with RHHS teacher, Mr. Frederick Nickens and how they help out their community. 

“I have known them for years and I know them personally,” said Sponsor and RHHS teacher Frederick Nickens said, “I enjoy asking them questions to see their perspective.”

The Robinsons run an organization called the Alliance of Elite Youth Leadership [AEYL], to help youth in the Collin County community and are located in McKinney, Texas. AEYL helps youth to navigate through life and to help the youth to become successful for adulthood. 

“When COVID-19 was going on, they fed the community with food for people to survive,”  Nickens said. 

Even though the mental health panel was hosted by both BSU and Psi Alpha, students throughout campus were encouraged to listen and ask questions. 

“We will mostly be talking about the couple’s experience in a relationship and how the feeling of love helps their everyday like experiences, even in mental health,” Psi Alpha President senior Jaya Ande said. 

The BSU and Psi Alpha officers created questions to ask the Robinsons prior to the mental health panels. Audience members were given a chance to ask questions to the Robinsons on relationship advice. 

“The Robinsons gave words of wisdom of what they went through and gave advice to those who are willing to listen,” BSU President senior Rayna Martin said. 

The following questions were asked:

• What are some unique strengths or qualities that you believe black couples bring to their marriages?
  • Do you face any societal stigmas for being a black couple?
  • How do you support and uplift each other in navigating the challenges and systematic inequalities that exist within society?
  • How does love get you through your daily day?

In the past, BSU hosted a women’s panel in 2022, located on campus for the student body and a men’s panel in 2023 located on campus for the student body. All panels tend to focus on the mental health of high schoolers during Black History Month. 

“People can see how love and mental health go together and how stable relationships make your mental health better,” Nickens said.