16061 Coit Rd. Frisco, TX 75033
The Student News Site of Rock Hill High School

Hill Top Times

Hill Top Times

Hill Top Times

Poll

This poll has ended.

What are your plans for prom?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Freshman softball player advances to final round of Olympics 15U selection competition

Courtesy of Sofia Sanchez
Freshman Aliyana Sanchez makes a catch on her select ball team. “[Softball has] always been my love sport and it’ll always have my heart,” Sanchez said.

Freshman softball player Aliyana Sanchez has made it to the final stage of selection for a spot on the USA Olympics 15U softball team. Sanchez was able to start her path in the competition through connections with her coaches.

“I’ve always dreamed about it and we saw an opening for it,” Sanchez said. “So we went to try out at Deer Park, which was our first identifier, which was just to see what you looked like.” 

Preparing for the tryouts demanded relentless dedication in practice sessions. 

“[I made] sure that I was doing quality reps every single time,” Sanchez said. “It’s kind of hard to do multiple reps and maintain a very long attention span. So it’s mainly about staying focused and ensuring I do what I’ve got to do during the tryout.”

Softball is a commitment– Sanchez practices every day, sometimes taking one or two days off to focus her attention elsewhere,  as she also plays basketball. 

“Whether it’s bringing a tennis ball to my mom’s office or going to a hitting lesson with my coach, or heading all the way to Austin for practice, which is where my select ball team is, usually, I’m always doing something,” Sanchez said.

During the final selection phase, evaluation criteria extend beyond athletic skills, probing into each player’s character.

“We were evaluated on how we were as a person, both on the field and off the field, and how we acted towards our teammates,” Sanchez said. “It was mainly just ‘show us what you can do.’”

Besides her skills, Sanchez believes her vibrant personality sets her apart from the other contenders.

“I personally think mine is unique in my own way,” Sanchez said. “I am very loud. I’m very vocal. I really love to socialize. So, I’m obviously the goofball of the team.”

Sanchez admits that she has been working on her mental health alongside her support system.  

“Some coaches both here at Rock Hill and other places– just everybody in my corner– have been helping me with my mental health because I am kind of hard on myself,” Sanchez said. “Everybody supporting me helps deal with all the jitters and the nerves.”

She plays on the Rock Hill softball team, as well as outside of school. This fall, she met a new team and has been enjoying the environment. 

“They were all so very welcoming,” Sanchez said. “We decided for Halloween that we were going to dress up as our coach for our scrimmages, and that was priceless. Every time we do videos that discuss our biggest pet peeves, our softball irritations, what’s the best thing, what we are thankful for, it’s the environment, definitely. And this team is definitely different from others.”

Sanchez’s resolve has enabled her to overcome obstacles and thrive in the sport.

“I’ve always been definitely the shortest and the smallest, but I don’t let that define me and I always push through it,” Sanchez said. “So, I think just my work ethic, my determination, and my personality are my biggest traits to help me throughout my softball career.”

Her family has been a constant source of support, especially in helping her with the nerves that come with competing.

“They’ve always been there for me through thick and thin,” Sanchez said. “They’ve always been my hardest graders, but also my biggest supporters.”

Sanchez started playing softball when she was five. Years of playing softball have instilled in her a mindset that places a high value on authenticity and commitment.

“It’s just mainly: be me,” Sanchez said. “I am me; I am my own person, and I just need to stick with that and stick with what I can do. I don’t need to change my work ethic to please someone else. I’m in my own zone and if someone doesn’t like it, then, oh well, it’s me. Deal with it.”

Sanchez balances focusing on herself with taking others’ opinions and feedback into consideration.

“Obviously, I block out the negatives and focus on the positives,” Sanchez said. “But for me, I do like having those people who say, ‘hey, you put this work in, you did this, you did that,’ and that’s big to me. I make sure to listen to what everybody is saying and doing.”

As for the future, Sanchez envisions her softball journey continuing into college.

“My two dream schools are FSU and OSU,” Sanchez said. “And I hope to continue playing from there until I get old and retire.”

Her pivotal learning from the game is centered on the importance of gratitude. Whether or not she makes it on the Olympic team, Sanchez is grateful for the opportunity.

“A lesson I could take away is not taking anything for granted and being thankful for every opportunity you have, and spending time with people that care about you and help you through,” Sanchez said.