16061 Coit Rd. Frisco, TX 75033
The Student News Site of Rock Hill High School

Hill Top Times

Hill Top Times

Hill Top Times

Poll

This poll has ended.

What are your plans for prom?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

McKinney makeover: Prom Closet offers free dresses

Stephanie Jackson
A digitally constructed image created by community member Stephanie Jackson embellishes the fun tradition of the Prom Closet. “I spotted advertisements for Plano’s St. Andrews Prom Closet,” Jackson said. “With our community’s expansion, I simply thought McKinney needed one.” All of the dresses that will be displayed on the following dates were donated by Keller Williams realty and Dr. Ross Jackson dental practice.

The sixth annual Prom Closet event is being held this Thursday, Friday, and Saturday at Stonebridge United Methodist Church (UMC). High school girls will have the unique chance to find and keep a donated prom dress. 

This year’s event is organized by motivated community member Stephanie Jackson, who was motivated to establish it after seeing something similar in Plano. 

“I spotted advertisements for Plano’s St. Andrews Prom Closet. With our community’s expansion, I simply thought McKinney needed one,” Jackson said. 

Jackson hopes to continue this fun tradition and would appreciate any assistance because it is entirely volunteer-run. To ensure the shopping experience runs smoothly, each girl is paired with a volunteer– a high order to fill. 

“We hope to continue,” Jackson said. This is a big deal for her and an amazing opportunity for teenage girls in the community.

All of the dresses and accessories are donated by people in the area. Following the 2024 prom season, donations will once again be accepted for the next year’s drive. 

“All of the dresses are donated from the congregation, Keller Williams realty and Dr. Ross Jackson dental practice,” Jackson said.

These three businesses really helped the Prom Closet during the start-up process. They collected dresses for the event, and brought more attention to it in order to draw in the crowds. 

This event will take place as listed below:

Thursday, March 21: 3:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.

Friday, March 22: 3:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.

Saturday, March 23: 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.

These will be the only times this service will be open to the public.  

Every dress, along with shoes and accessories, will be given away without charge.  “Jewelry, shoes, handbags, and wraps” are among the items that will be available, according to Stephanie Jackson.

Girls can come from anywhere and find something to wear. With over 300 gowns to pick from and sizes ranging from 0 to 24+, there’s sure to be something for everyone.

Students must be present in order to pick out a dress, otherwise it may not be taken from the closet. Parents or guardians may not take anything home without their child present.

The event will be held at 1800 S. Stonebridge Dr. in Mckinney, TX for all three days. Prom is right around the corner, so come take advantage of this fantastic opportunity being offered.