Hawks out of class: Taylor Bowling

Meredith Bowling

Freshman Taylor Bowling is part of the Rock Hill Rockettes dance team. “My favorite memory, so far, would be competition and nationals. It was so much fun when we would go out and dance together. Also, the behind-the-scenes and changing into costumes was very exciting, and it gets your adrenaline going.” Next year, Bowling will become one of the sophomore sergeants for the team.

Dana Garcia, Staff

Bowling, interviewed with reporter Dana Garcia about what her favorite hobbies are at home. “I like to make earrings for my small business and do many little crafts. I also like to practice dance, of course,” Bowling said. This is Bowling’s first school year, starting her small business and being on the Rockettes. (Colwater Creative )

Hawks out of class is a feature column sharing the behind-the-scenes Blue Hawk talent at Rock Hill High School. 

Taylor Bowling is a freshman on the Rockettes dance team at Rock Hill High School. She has a very warmhearted and compassionate personality towards others. In addition, bowling has multiple hobbies she loves doing at home, one of which is growing her small businesses. 

Hill Top Times: What’s your position in dance this year, and if you’re doing it next year? 

Taylor Bowling: I’m a line member this year, but I will be a sophomore sergeant next year. 

HTT: How long have you been dancing? 

TB: I started a drill team in 8th grade. I took a few dance classes when I was little, but that’s pretty much it! 

HTT: What’s your favorite memory on the dance team so far? 

TB: I think competition and nationals. It was so much fun when we would go out and dance together. Also, the behind-the-scenes and changing into costumes were very exciting, and it gets your adrenaline going. I plan to take dance for the rest of high school, but I’ll wait and see if I do it for college. 

HTT: What’s going on in dance currently? Are there any UIL events or spring shows? 

TB: We are preparing for a spring show at the end of April. It’s a big deal to us because it’s the start of all of our competition dances, and it’s like saying “hello” to our new incoming rookies for next year and saying bye to all the seniors. 

HTT: Having dance as a sport, what else do you like doing at home? 

TB: I like to make earrings for my small business and do many little crafts. I also like to practice dance, of course.  

HTT: What’s your small business called, and what do you make on it? 

TB: My business is called “Wild Clay Designs” on Etsy. I make studs or dangle drop earrings out of polymer clay, which makes them very colorful.

Bowling has a second hobby she enjoys doing at home, which is her small business. “My business is called “Wild Clay Designs” on Etsy. I make studs or dangle drop earrings out of polymer clay, and I make them very colorful depending on the design,” Bowling said. (Meredith Bowling)

HTT: For how many years has your business been going? 

TB: I started my small business in August of last year. 

HTT: Do you plan to do this in the future? 

TB: I plan to keep it up throughout high school, but I don’t know if I will keep it after high school. 

HTT: Have you had any trouble with balancing your business with dance?

TB: Yes, dance takes up a lot of my time. I’m pretty much at school 24/7. So whenever I can, I try to make some earrings and usually work on them almost every weekend. 

HTT: To conclude, do you have any advice for students who want to start a business or are interested in having one? 

TB: I would just research like I did at the beginning of starting my business. Of course, to make earrings I have to find all the supplies and start an Etsy business. It’s definitely a lot of work and time, but it’s very fun when I get a chance to create new earring designs.