Here or There

How to juggle in-person and online classes

Gianna Ortner-Findlay

Junior Gianna Ortner-Findlay settles in to her newspaper class after making the transition to in-person from her online classes. Prosper ISD planned for a hybrid-learning situation this year with some students attending school virtually and others going in-person. “Many of our students are online learners,” said Ortner-Findlay. “A new task that we’re becoming accustomed to is the switch between online and in-person classes.”

Gianna Ortner-Findlay, Assistant Editor

In the age of Coronavirus, the world has come to terms with the fact that our current situation is rapidly changing and our lives will not look familiar for a while. With summer bowing its way out and school stepping up to the stage, we’ve been given a new ball to juggle.

E-learning.

As a junior, I expected the most from my second to last year of high school. I was going to audition for everything I could in theatre, write articles, take pictures of games and enjoy my free period.

Instead, I was met with online classes, my free period became an early day at home, and now, there might not even be performances if Covid cases increase in Prosper.

One option for those that did not want to give up their electives that required in-person attendance, was to go into the building only for those classes. Many of our students are online learners, and a new task that we’re becoming accustomed to is the switch between online and in-person classes.

If your schedule is anything like mine, I have all of my courses online except for two, which I travel to the school for. Without my own way of transportation, I would have a difficult time getting to school, and would have to give up my favored electives.

This would, of course, be the last resort for me, but it was the reality for many others. Many students have high-risk family members at home and are unwilling to risk their lives by going to school.

So they give up the classes if accommodations can not be met.

For those of us who have elected to take some classes in-person, the transition between our homes to the school can be hectic and stressful as we race against time. While we don’t have a guidebook to this, but I can extend what I’ve learned from my topsy turvy schedule to you.

Tip #1: Always make your teachers aware of your situation.

Notify the class you have in-person (whether before or after your virtual class) of the fact that you are a virtual learner. While, yes, teachers have a roster allowing them to know which student is virtual and which is in-person, you could divert from an attendance disaster if you tell the teacher beforehand.

Tip #2: Manage your time.

Leave as early as you’re allowed to in order to make it to your classes on time, but always be sure to make the teachers of the class aware that you’re leaving, as well as the one you’re traveling to. This is the way I’ve been able to reach my classes on time.

Tip #3: Always make a plan and stick to it.

Not having a plan can stress you out as you try to navigate through the transition between online to in-person.

Lastly, the best tip I could extend to you is to stay focused. Being able to maintain focus and keeping the balance between both online and in-person classes will allow you to have the best school-life-at-home that you can.