Musical theatre class prepares for performance of original musical

Photo Credit: Carly Schmidt

The cast of “Who Done Did It? A Juicebox Murder Mystery Extravaganza: The Musical!” rehearses in the blackbox. The class has worked on the musical since December, and will perform their student-written piece April 28, 29, and 30. “Every aspect of the show could, and would, be changed completely at any given moment,” senior and student director Evan Warren said. “We were practicing a show that was still being created. We were in a show that was still alive.”

Haley Medeiros, Editor-in-Chief

With all the scares of a true crime podcast and the comedy of a sit-com, the school’s musical theatre class will perform their original musical “Who Done Did It: A Juicebox Murder Mystery Extravaganza: The Musical” in the blackbox April 28, 29 and 30.

The performances will start at 7 p.m. with pre-show entertainment from the improv troupe at 6:15 p.m.

“As we started to practice this musical, it became clear that nothing about it was concrete,” senior and student director Evan Warren said. “Every aspect of the show could, and would, be changed completely at any given moment. We were practicing a show that was still being created. We were in a show that was still alive. And that was an amazing experience.”

Tickets will be $5 for students and $10 for adults. Audience members can purchase tickets at the door or at this link.

“Tickets are selling out fast. If you don’t have yours yet, order it now,” Warren said. “It’s the first musical performed in this area since the beginning of the pandemic. It’s the first musical in Rock Hill High School history. It’s the first time this musical has ever been performed ever. You can be a part of those firsts.”

The class has worked on writing the script and songs for months, making changes up until opening night.

“My favorite part of this experience was definitely finishing up the songs with harmonies and all the bells and whistles,” junior Ella Dellenbach said. “It’s been awesome because we were able to switch whatever we wanted and we all collaborated together.”

The show is entirely student written and directed with assistance from musical theatre teacher Timothy Doyle.

“This is nothing like you’ve seen before, especially because it’s an original musical,” Dellenbach said. “Get ready to be amped up and audience interaction.”

The company has worked on the piece since December and set an original performance date in February. The snow storm changed those plans.

“As a class, we have worked extremely hard for months to make this musical happen,” freshman Reese Jones said. “We hope everyone has as much fun watching it as we did creating it.”

The group decided on a plot that follows a group of funeral guests as they try to solve a murder mystery case.

“One of the jokes we made that very first day we started writing made it into the opening number,” Warren said. “There’s a whole character who only exists because of a separate joke. It’s incredible what happens when people just get together and start making stories.”

The show will be the only musical performed at the school this year. “Who Done Did It?” will be the third show produced with Rock Hill Theatre for its inaugural year.

“Being a part of this musical has been amazing,” Jones said.  “I loved being able to develop character on a script and then see them come to life.”