Stepping up

Step team adds flavor to pep rallies

Haley Medeiros/ Gianna Ortner-Findlay

Assistant editor Gianna Ortner-Findlay looks at the Step Team flyer. Students online and in person can join the step team, but all practices will be in person. “They (students) can still come on Monday,” Ballou said. “to kind of feel it out to see if this is something they actually want to do.”

Gianna Ortner-Findlay, Assistant Editor

A tradition inspired by the gumboot and traditional dances of Africa, step dancing has made its way into the hearts of PISD high schools.

Rock Hill’s step team is in full swing, and had their first practice Monday, Oct. 5th at 4 p.m.

“As long as they come in person,” sponsor for RHHS step team Dr. Yoshara Ballou said. “because it’s impossible to step over the laptop.”

Students who attend virtually are also welcome to join the team.

“They (students) can still come on Monday,” Ballou said. “to kind of feel it out to see if this is something they actually want to do.”

Practices for step-team, leading up till the pep rally next week, will be three to four times a week after school.

“The dream and the goal is to perform at every pep rally, ” Ballou said. “Starting with the one on the Oct. 16th.”

To follow the theme of inclusivity in the school, the team is thinking of ways to create a “Rock Hill Shuffle”.

“The step team will of course show the school how to do it,” Ballou said. “We want the whole school to know the Rock Hill Shuffle.”

The team is also creating a sound that represents them and signals their arrival at pep rallies or even games.

“We are excited about that,” Ballou said. “(We want) to lead Rock Hill into having a little more flavor.”