Students, staff prepare for historical 1st pep rally of football season

Photographer: Wesley Barrett

Rocky the Blue Hawk interacts with the crowd at Meet the Blue Hawks. The mascot will make it’s school-wide debut at the Blue-Out pep rally Thursday. “It’s a crazy time, but our school leaders wanted to make sure these pep rallies would happen for the students,” cheer coach Kendra Lee said. “It’s so important that we keep a hold of our school spirit, even in times of separation.”

Haley Medeiros, Editor-in-Cheif

Students and faculty will attend the first pep rally in Rock Hill history Thursday at 3:15 p.m.

The event will be both virtual and in-person, with seniors and freshmen attending this rally in the arena while adhering to social distancing rules.

“There will be taped off seats and sections that students are not allowed to sit in,” cheer coach Kendra Lee said. “Masks are to be worn at all times. At the end of the pep rally, students will be released in the same way they were asked to enter the arena, which will eliminate any unnecessary large gatherings of students.”

Similar to past pep rallies, the drumline will start at the auditorium side, which will serve as a release for seniors. The rallies will still include games and contests.

“I believe for this first one, we are having a hot dog eating contest,” principal Dustin Toth said. “The most exciting thing will be seeing everybody out there performing, getting pumped for the game and celebrating our team.”

Football will play their first game against Frisco Heritage that Thursday, making the theme of the rally a Blue-Out “Rock Heritage” event.

“We definitely want to see a sea of blue in the hallways for support,” Lee said. “Teachers will also have it live-streaming in the classrooms, so students will be able to get involved with their classmates, and of course post to Twitter and Instagram what they’re enjoying about the pep rally.”

Student performers such as cheer, band and mascot Rocky will entertain at the rally.

“Cheer has worked really hard to come up with a separate routine from Meet the Hawks,” Lee said. “We had limited time and they have worked extremely hard to make sure that we are able to show the students something awesome.”

While seniors can attend all pep rallies in-person this year, freshmen, sophomore and junior classes will rotate which ones they can attend throughout the year.

“This is gonna be my first year on a UIL team, so participating in the pep rally is going to be awesome,” junior and cross country runner Ella Dellenbach said. “I’m so stoked for our season.”

Pep rally organizers are already planning ahead to future events like this one.

“I’m thinking that the homecoming pep rally will be outside so that everybody can go,” Toth said. “Get out there and have fun. Do what you can to keep your distance and your mask on, because we don’t want this to be the last pep rally. I think it will be a great time.”